Apply to be a taxi or private hire driver
You need a licence if you intend to drive a vehicle as a taxi (referred to by law and on this website as a 'hackney carriage', which is a vehicle booked in advance, hailed from the street or hired from a taxi rank) or private hire (booked in advance only).
You will also need to:
- pay the appropriate licence fee
- read the guidance notes (pdf 81KB) and step by step guide (pdf 34kb) on applying for a hackney carriage and private hire drivers licence and make sure you meet all the criteria
To be considered for a new private hire or hackney carriage driver licence, you will need to sit a computer-based test. You can find an example of the driver test online (Shockwave flash object 3MB). Please note you will need Flash installed on your PC to run the test.
No conditions are attached to a hackney carriage driver licence. However, there are private hire driver conditions (pdf 11KB).
All drivers are expected to comply with a Code of Good Conduct. We also have an adopted dress code for licensed drivers. These can be found under Appendix C and D of the hackney carriage and private hire licensing policy.
- Notification of change of address
- Medical certificate form (pdf 251KB)
- Diabetes self certification form (pdf 19KB)
- Issues surrounding vulnerable persons (pdf 227KB)
Request a replacement badge (pdf 67KB)