Privacy Notice – Electoral Services temporary staff at elections and canvass
North Devon Council is the local Electoral Registration Office for the District of North Devon. Pursuant to the Representation of the People Act 1983 we appoint the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO).
To provide an electoral service, we will process information about temporary staff employed at an election or the annual voter registration canvass and the people we need to pay. These records include:
- Basic details about you, for example, name, address, date of birth and nationality
- Unique identifiers such as your NI number
- Contact details that you have provided to us
- Data to enable the payment of salaries
- Scanned application forms and dates of any letters of correspondence
- Notes about any relevant circumstances that you have told us
- Details and records about your past and current employment with Electoral Services
- Right to Work and employment details
- Training requests and attendance
- Customers satisfaction survey results
We are collecting and processing this data in order to adequately staff events such as elections and the annual canvass. Paid employment on these events places a statutory duty on the data controller to collect information in order to meet legal obligations such as Right To Work, taxation, PAYE and the EU Working Time Directive.
How long we will keep your data for
We will hold this information for up to 6 years. The period of time that we will hold this data for will depend on our legal obligations which set statutory retention periods. After this, your information will be deleted or archived such that it is put beyond use. Please see more information about the Council’s retention periods.
Why we need to collect your data
We will use this information for:
- maintaining a list of potential temporary staff at elections and the annual canvass (the legal basis we rely on for this is article 6(1)(e) of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that this is in line with the official authority of the Electoral Registration Officer)
- employing and paying staff at current and future elections and canvasses (the legal basis we rely on for this is article 6(1)(b) of the GDPR that this is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you, as data subject, is party or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract); and
- meeting our statutory legal duties regarding all current and future legislation including the Representation of the People Act 1983 (the legal basis we rely on for this is article 6(1)(c) of the GDPR that this is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we, as data controller, are subject)
Who we share your data with and why
- North Devon District Council (finance) for the payment of staff
- Central Government departments for purposes such as taxation and PAYE
- North Devon District Council, the Police and Security Services for crime prevention or the detection of fraud
- North Devon District Council (ICT) for computer systems, software and electronic device access
- North Devon District Council for recruitment, Health and Safety, training, performance management and as part of the employer/employee relationship
- Third parties organisations contracted to undertake the collection or processing of the data collected, such as training, or to ensure compliance with statutory obligations
- Details of telephone numbers and address for polling station staff will be shared with other staff appointed at the same venue and with the Polling Station Inspectors
Your rights as a data subject
You have the right to have your details removed from the pool of potential employees held by Electoral Services to aid staffing future electoral events.
You have the right to ask for access to your data and where data is found to be inaccurate to have that data corrected. In certain circumstances you have the right to have data held about you erased, or the use of it restricted. You may be able to object to processing and may also have the right to have your data transferred to another data controller. Please see more information regarding Your Rights.