Recording and filming at council meetings
The council is committed to openness and transparency in its decision-making.
Recording is permitted at council meetings that are open to the public. The
council understands that some members of the public attending its meetings may
not wish to be recorded. The Chairman of the meeting will make sure any request
not to be recorded is respected.
The rules that the council will apply are:
- The recording must be overt (clearly visible to anyone at the meeting) and
must not disrupt proceedings. The council will put signs up at any meeting
where we know recording is taking place and a reminder will be issued at the commencement of virtual meetings
- The Chairman of the meeting has absolute discretion to stop or suspend
recording if, in their opinion, continuing to do so would prejudice
proceedings at the meeting or if the person recording is in breach of these
- We will ask for recording to stop if the meeting goes into ‘part B’ where the public is excluded for confidentiality reasons. In such a case, the person filming should leave the room ensuring all recording equipment is switched off. In a virtual meeting the public will be excluded from the meeting while in part B
- Any member of the public has the right not to be recorded. We ensure that agendas for, and signage at, council meetings make it clear that recording can take place – anyone not wishing to be recorded must advise the Chairman at the earliest opportunity. Public contributions to virtual meetings will be recorded unless, at the Chair's discretion, recording is deemed inappropriate in accordance with point 2 above
- The recording should not be edited in a way that could lead to misinterpretation or misrepresentation of the proceedings or in a way that ridicules or shows a lack of respect for those in the recording. The council would expect any recording in breach of these rules to be removed from public view
Please contact either our Corporate and Community team or our Communications team in advance of the meeting you wish to record at, so we can make all the necessary arrangements for you on the day.
Please note that all public committee meetings held at Brynsworthy Environment Centre will be recorded and uploaded on to the Council’s YouTube channel.
For more information you can contact either the Corporate and Community team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or telephoning on 01271 388253 or the Communications Team by emailing email@example.com or telephoning on 01271 388278.