Safety Advisory Group - SAG
We fully support community events taking place throughout its district. In order to promote good planning, high levels of safety and welfare, and to ensure that events cause minimal adverse impact to our communities, the council in partnership with a number of other authorities has come together to form a Safety Advisory Group (SAG).
Notify SAG of an event (ODT 2MB)
Email the SAG team at email@example.com
Please also read our guidance notes on the SAG process (PDF 118 KB).
To notify the SAG of an event, you should also accompany your notification with (where applicable):
- Event management plan (including noise, traffic management and medical plan)
- Risk assessments
- Fire risk assessment
- Road closures
- Public liability insurance (minimum £5 million)
- Food safety self assessment checklist for caterers (ODT 49KB)
- Location and site map
What is SAG?
The SAG is made up of representatives from the District and County Council (Food Health and Safety Team, Environmental Protection, Licensing, Highway Authority) and emergency services (Devon and Cornwall Police, Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service, South West Ambulance Service, Maritime and Coastguard Agency).
Whilst individual representatives of organisations forming the SAG may have powers to require event organisers to comply with their legal obligations, the SAG does not have legal powers or responsibilities and is not empowered to approve or prohibit an event from taking place. Its role is to provide independent advice to event organisers, who retain legal responsibility for ensuring an event is safe.
It is highly recommended that organisers gain a copy of the Purple Guide to Health, Safety and Welfare at Music and Other Events (a fee is payable for subscription for the latest version). (pdf 755kb)
Whilst the Health and Safety Executive does not sit on the SAG, information in respect of undertaking risk assessments and guidance on running events safely is available on their website. A template risk assessment has also been produced to help.
The following documents are provided to assist event organisers but these are not substitutes for existing technical guidance or documents otherwise available:
- Template Event Management Plan (ODT 30KB)
- Devon and Cornwall Police Guidance to Event Organisers (pdf 209KB)
- Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service Guidance on Fire Safety at public events (pdf 30KB)
- South West Ambulance Service guidance on medical planning(pdf 113KB)
- Devon County Council's Guidance on Traffic Management Planning (pdf 232KB) - see their website for further information
- North Devon Council's Environmental Protection Team Guidance on Noise Management Plans (pdf 72KB)
- Police Guidance on Hostile Vehicles at Events (pdf 526KB)
- Chemical, Biological and Radiological Incidents – Security Staff Guidance