Caravan Sites

The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land a caravan site unless the occupier holds a site licence issued by the Council.

The term caravan legally includes those which can be towed behind cars, motor homes, static holiday homes and the more modern residential park homes, which often arrive on site in two sections and are then bolted together.


Applications for site licences are made to the local authority in whose area the land is situated. Applications must be in writing, should detail the land the application concerns and any other information required by the local authority.

In order to be eligible to be issued a licence the applicant must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site. In addition licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

The local authority can only issue a licence for a new caravan site after it has received the necessary planning permission and a completed application for a site licence.

It may also agree to the transfer of an existing licence to a new licensee.

Please see our guidance notes for further detail. (pdf 334 KB)

Licensing Conditions

Licence conditions are slightly different for residential sites, holiday sites, where the caravans are permanently sited but used for holidays (statics) and for touring caravans. The following standard conditions for each type of site are available below:


Before you apply for a licence, you should check that you have the necessary planning permission. A licence cannot be issued until the corresponding planning permission is in place, and an application will not be accepted until it is.

Anyone wishing to apply for a licence can apply online.

Apply for a caravan and campsite licence  

Site Rules

We are obliged to publish the site rules and maintain a register of them (by the Mobile Homes (Site Rules, England)Regulations 2014) below is a list of site rules for Residential sites that have been lodged with the council.

Further information

Fire Precautions

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (the RRO) applies to caravan sites.  The RRO replaces some fire related standards that are in current site licensing conditions.  The local Fire and Rescue Authority are the main enforcers of the RRO, however, local authority inspectors are still required to check that site owners are complying with the obligations under it.  In particular, site owners must carry out a fire risk assessment and make this available to the inspectors.

The Government website Fire Safety Law and Guidance Documents for Business contains a range of helpful information for businesses on fire safety and the requirements of the RRO.

Additional information on complying with fire safety law for people who provide sleeping accommodation can also be accessed on their website.

A risk assessment is required under the Fire Reform Order 2005. Further guidance and examples of risk assessments can be found on the Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service website.

Keeping us informed

You should notify us immediately in the event of any changes which may affect the validity of your site licence. This includes any changes to the name or address of the licence holder, planning permission, number of units, site plan or layout etc. Additionally, if you wish to purchase a site, we strongly recommend you notify us before ownership is transferred and any formal applications are made.