Skip to content

Brexit – is your business prepared?

Do you know what you need to do to get your business ready for Brexit? There are a number of things businesses will need to do to prepare to leave the EU, particularly if there is no deal. Here are some of the key points you need to be aware of.

Data Protection

If you are a UK business or organisation that receives data from contacts in the EEA, you need to take extra steps to ensure that the data can continue to flow after Brexit.

While you can still send information to the European Economic Area (EEA), if your business wants to continue receiving data from the EEA you will need to take action to comply with EU data protection laws.

You can find out more on the Information Commissioners website.

EORI numbers 

If you run a business in North Devon and you either import or export goods to or from the EU, you will need to get an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number.

If there’s a no-deal Brexit, you will need an EORI number that starts with GB to be able to move goods in and out of the UK.

Find out more or apply for an EORI number from GOV.UK - Get an EORI number website.

Food and drink

If you work in the food and drink industry, after Brexit, to continue importing and exporting products between the UK and EU you must:

  • Get a UK Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number
  • Decide if you want to hire an import-export agent, or make the declarations yourself
  • Contact the organisation that moves your goods to find out what they need to make the declarations for your goods, or if you will need to make them yourself

Find out more from GOV.UK Guidance - Prepare your food and drink business for a no-deal Brexit website.

Fishing exports and paperwork

If you work in the fishing industry, there are various forms and certificates you may need to complete. If you land fish in the EU you’ll need a catch certificate and an export health certificate and you’ll need to complete a Port State Control form North-East Atlantic Fisheries Commission website.

Find out more from GOV.UK - export fish after a no-deal Brexit website.

Employing EU Citizens

There will be no change to the right to work of EU, EEA and Swiss citizens and their family members living in the UK until 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

You’ll need to check a job applicant’s right to work in the same way as now until 1 January 2021.

A new immigration system will apply to people arriving on or after 1 January 2021. You will not be required to undertake retrospective checks on existing EU, EEA or Swiss employees.

Find out more from GOV.UK Guidance - Right to work checks on EU citizens if the UK leaves the EU without a deal website.