Barnstaple Pannier Market today
The Barnstaple Pannier Market House is temporary closed whilst works take place as part of the Market Quarter regeneration project. The market closure has seen traders moving into Green Lanes Shopping Centre.
The decision to close the market and temporarily relocate the market traders in the early part of 2023 was taken as the market is at its lowest capacity at this time of year and will allow the successful contractors to work efficiently, thereby reducing the overall disruption to the market, local businesses and other stakeholders.
Planning permission has been granted and the proposed works will include:
- Refurbishment of the market street toilets to provide: An entrance from the market as well as the existing entrance from market street, five unisex toilets, one baby changing facility with adult WC and child WC as well as one disabled toilet
- Relocation of the office to the old Pannier Market café
- Repairs to the roof including gutters and windows
- Glazing of doors to Butchers Row
- Refurbishment of corn store into an insulated/self-contained space and traders' storage area
- Relocation of storage/bins area to rear wall adjacent to Queens Theatre
- External refurbishment works to The Guildhall
We would like to invite you to check our barnstaple.co.uk website for market progress updates and when we are back open, encourage you to enjoy the charm and friendly atmosphere of one of Britain's largest indoor markets once again. There's something for everyone!
For information on The Market Quarter Project and the history of how we got where we are today, please visit our dedicated webpage.