North Devon Council owns the following sports facilities:
- North Devon Leisure Centre, Barnstaple (pool, gym, sports hall, badminton, indoor bowls, squash, dojo, dance studio, cafe, soft play)
- Tarka Tennis Centre, Barnstaple (indoor and outdoor tennis, outdoor grass pitch and new outdoor artificial grass pitch, badminton, cafe)
- Ilfracombe Pool and Fitness Centre, Ilfracombe (pool and gym)
These facilities are managed by Parkwood Leisure on our behalf. If you have any comments about the facilities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not satisfied with your response from Parkwood, please email email@example.com.
Leisure facilities have begun to reopen following government easing of lockdown restrictions.
Saturday 25 July saw phase-one of the reopening of the leisure facilities when North Devon Leisure Centre opened the gym and a large proportion of fitness classes, Ilfracombe Pool and Gym opened its gym and Tarka Tennis Centre opened all inside and outside tennis courts. Next steps for the reopening are as follows:
- phase 1b (Saturday 1 August) Tarka Tennis Centre will re-open the artificial grass pitch
- phase 2 (August - date TBC) will see North Devon Leisure Centre re-opening some sports hall activities and squash courts
- phase 3 (September - date TBC) will see swimming pools re-open at North Devon Leisure Centre and Ilfracombe Pool and Gym
Opening times will be reduced in comparison to normal.
The leisure centre and Tarka Tennis staff have been working hard behind the scenes to make sure that your next visit will be as safe as possible and have:
- Installed hand washing and sanitiser points for customer use
- Fitted protective barriers to protect staff
- Put in place an intensive ongoing sanitising programme on high contact surfaces
- Marked routes around building to encourage social distancing
- Reorganised the programme of activities
- All activities must be pre-booked, no walk-ins allowed
The centres are also asking all visitors to:
- avoid entering the building if you are showing any symptoms of COVID-19
- bring your own full drinks bottle as the water fountains are not available
- follow the signage around the centre
- bring your own exercise mat
- do not bring towels
- maintain social distancing at all times
- regularly wash or sanitise your hands
- sanitise equipment and areas when asked to do so
Parkwood Leisure has posted all the information online at https://www.leisurecentre.com. Search via postcode and choose the centre you want for full details of opening hours and reduced timetables.
The following facilities are private enterprises and are not owned or managed by North Devon Council: