Leisure and lifestyle COVID-19 - Update January 2021
Following the government announcement on 4 January 2021, both the North Devon Leisure Centre and Ilfracombe Pool will be temporarily closed during the lockdown.
Following a statement by Skateboard England published on 6 January 2021, Rock Park Skatepark, Barnstaple and Benricks Skatepark, Ilfracombe and BMX Track, Braunton will also be temporarily closed during the lockdown.
All of our parks and play areas will remain open for exercise purposes only and we urge any users to follow the safety signage which has been put up at these facilities.
In line with the government guidance, you can exercise in a public outdoor place by yourself, with the people you live with, with your support bubble (if you are legally permitted to form one), in a childcare bubble where providing childcare or when on your own, with 1 person from another household.
As with all outdoor equipment that can be accessed by multiple people, play areas cannot be guaranteed to be free of COVID-19. Parents should supervise their children at all times and should take all reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of themselves and their children while using the equipment.
North Devon Council owns the following sports facilities:
- North Devon Leisure Centre, Barnstaple (pool, gym, sports hall, badminton, indoor bowls, squash, dojo, dance studio, cafe, soft play)
- Tarka Tennis Centre, Barnstaple (indoor and outdoor tennis, outdoor grass pitch and new outdoor artificial grass pitch, badminton, cafe)
- Ilfracombe Pool and Fitness Centre, Ilfracombe (pool and gym)
These facilities are managed by Parkwood Leisure on our behalf. If you have any comments about the facilities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not satisfied with your response from Parkwood, please email email@example.com.
Our leisure facilities have all re-opened now and the leisure centre and Tarka Tennis staff have been working hard behind the scenes to make sure that your next visit will be as safe as possible and have:
- Installed hand washing and sanitiser points for customer use
- Fitted protective barriers to protect staff
- Put in place an intensive ongoing sanitising programme on high contact surfaces
- Marked routes around building to encourage social distancing
- Reorganised the programme of activities
- All activities must be pre-booked, no walk-ins allowed
The centres are also asking all visitors to:
- avoid entering the building if you are showing any symptoms of COVID-19
- bring your own full drinks bottle as the water fountains are not available
- follow the signage around the centre
- bring your own exercise mat
- do not bring towels
- maintain social distancing at all times
- regularly wash or sanitise your hands
- sanitise equipment and areas when asked to do so
Parkwood Leisure has posted all the information online at https://www.leisurecentre.com. Search via postcode and choose the centre you want for full details of opening hours and reduced timetables.
The following facilities are private enterprises and are not owned or managed by North Devon Council: