Job Vacancy: Harbour Master, Ilfracombe Harbour, North Devon
1924 hours per annum
Salary: £32,486 - £39,177 per annum
A rare opportunity has arisen to join us as Harbour Master for the busy and thriving Harbour at Ilfracombe in North Devon.
As Harbour Master you will be responsible for the safe, effective and efficient management of Ilfracombe Harbour in order to maintain compliance with the Port Marine Safety Code. You will be required to give advice and guidance to the Harbour Board and other Council Committees, providing them with strategic development and annual financial business plans. You will promote the commercial, recreational and economic success of the Harbour, liaising directly with external organisations and individuals. You will facilitate the safe movement, berthing and regulation of vessels using the Harbour and also maintaining and exercise the Harbour Oil Spill Contingency and Port Security Plans. You will be required to represent the Council on various marine bodies such as South West Regional Ports Association, Devon Maritime Forum, British Ports Association and UK Harbourmaster’s Association.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual with:
- A thorough working knowledge of the Port Marine Safety Code
- A national Harbour Master Certificate, or willingness to study for one
- Managerial experience at a senior level within the marine environment
- Excellent customer service and conflict resolution skills gained working with the general public
- The ability to balance stakeholder demands with regards to safety and commercial awareness
- Have a flexible approach to service delivery and working hours
- Sound IT skills
- Command at sea experience would be advantageous
For an informal chat please contact our current Harbour Master, Lt Cdr Robin Lawson, on 01271 862108 or email email@example.com
Closing Date: 1 December 2017 (noon)
Interview Date: 14 December 2017
If you have not heard by the interview date, please assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
In return we offer a supportive environment in an organisation accredited with IIP, flexible working hours, a career average salary pension scheme and an optional childcare voucher scheme.
North Devon Council believes in valuing diversity and is committed to equal opportunities.
For an application pack, please call 01271 388353, quoting reference HM11 or use the documents below:
If you require a copy of the application form, or job description, in an alternative format, please contact us.