Private housing conditions
The council monitors the condition of private rented properties by:
- visiting homes where poor conditions have been reported
- inspecting houses in multiple occupation (HMO)
- working with landlords to improve housing conditions, including using enforcement action
If you rent from the private sector and your home is in poor condition, you should always speak to your landlord first to try to sort out any problems before contacting us.
If this doesn’t work, you can:
Problems with your landlord
You can report poor quality private landlords or unlicensed houses in multiple occupation by using our online form.
Private tenants can report landlord issues such as:
- intimidating behaviour towards tenants
- antisocial behaviour
- unlicensed houses in multiple occupation
Housing condition survey
The last large survey of private housing conditions was in 2008 (Housing Stock Conditions Survey pdf 2.2mb).