Stray and lost dogs
If you find a stray dog, you must either:
- return the dog to its owner
- contact the local authority for the area in which the dog was found
During office hours you can contact the dog warden service by phoning 01271 388870.
If it is outside of office hours, and you cannot hold the dog until the office reopens, please contact our emergency out of hours service on 01271 388240.
If you fail to report a dog you have found, you will have committed an offence and would be liable, upon conviction, to a fine.
If you have lost your dog, please phone us during office hours on 01271 388870 or our emergency out of hours service on 01271 388240 to see if it has been picked up by our dog warden.
North Devon Council has a duty to collect and detain stray dogs. The dog owner, once located, may be liable for fines, fees and charges. These include:
- statutory fine - £25
- administration charge - £6 plus VAT
- boarding (for each period of 24 hours or part there of) - £15
- any required veterinary costs, for example if the dog is injured
- other relevant fees