Remember - it costs less if you contact us online

We are unable to action anonymous or invalid requests eg. with an invalid email address

Please complete this form and forward any documents to support your claim for Discretionary Housing payment. If you have recently claimed Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support we may already have some evidence of your income. We strongly advise that you bring payment books to our offices rather than post them.

Please see extra help with your rent and Council Tax.

Please list all your types of income and the weekly amounts

Extra help with your rent and Council Tax

If you receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, but this does not cover all of your rent or Council Tax, you may be able to get extra help called Discretionary Housing payments (DHP).

DHP are not payments of benefit. The local authority can give them where additional help with housing costs is needed. The amount available is restricted by the Government.

The DHP cannot cover any ineligible charges if they are included in your rent, for example, water, heating, electricity, and meals.

If you would like to claim DHP, please complete the attached form. Any information you give on this form is confidential under the Data Protection Act 1998.

We may check the information you give us against other information you have given on your Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support claim form.

When we receive your claim, we will write to you to explain our decision. If we decide we can award you a DHP, the letter will explain to you how much you will be paid, and for how long.

These are notes for you to keep. If you need any more information, please see the addresses and telephone numbers of our offices as detailed.

If you need help completing the form or have any further enquiries, please contact one of the Council Offices as detailed.

The personal information you provide will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.