Coronavirus - support for businesses
We understand that in these unprecedented times of uncertainty, many small business owners are very concerned about how their business will be supported whilst people are following the government’s social distancing advice.
UK Government advice for businesses
The government have set up a webpage for businesses where all the latest advice and guidance can be found.
Cash grants for businesses
Latest update: Tuesday 7 April
Thank you for your patience whilst we’ve got our new software up and running for the business grants which arrived on Friday. Since then we have been working hard to get it installed and tested ready to go live.
We’re pleased to say that we expect the application form to be on our website by Thursday (9 April).
In readiness for the form going live, please ensure you have the following information ready:
- The name of the business as it appears on your business rates bill
- Evidence of your business bank statement (a screenshot of either your paper statement or online banking statement) showing your account details and recent transactions
- Your business rates reference number (if you don’t have this to hand, please call our Customer Services team on 01271 327711 or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Your VAT number if VAT registered
- Your company number if a limited company
Once the form is submitted, it will tell you if you are eligible for a grant or not. The eligibility criteria is here.
We anticipate the first tranche of payments to be made by the beginning of next week.
The grants are to support the many small businesses which pay little or no business rates because of Small Business Rate Relief (SBRR). The government has promised to provide £10,000 cash grants to businesses across the country which are currently eligible for either SBRR or Rural Rate Relief, to help meet their ongoing business costs.
A £25,000 grant will also be provided to retail, hospitality and leisure businesses operating from smaller premises, with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000.
Full government guidance is available on their business support pages.
You can also email email@example.com to request more information about Coronavirus-related business grants when it becomes available.
Business lockdown checklist to do/contact suppliers
We have compiled a checklist to help businesses during lockdown.
Business support from North Devon Plus
If you would like to speak to a business advisor about your cash-flow, business planning or general business support you can contact our business support agency, North Devon+.
Expanded retail discount
All letters and revised bills in relation to the businesses being awarded the expanded retail discount have been sent out to eligible businesses.
Which properties will benefit from relief?
The letters and revised bills in relation to the businesses being awarded the expanded retail discount have been sent out to eligible businesses.Properties that will benefit from 100% retail discount are to include the following;
- shops (such as: florists, bakers, butchers, grocers, greengrocers, jewellers, stationers, off licences, chemists, newsagents, hardware stores, supermarkets, etc)
- charity shops
- non-local authority childcare providers
- post offices
- furnishing shops/ display rooms (such as: carpet shops, double glazing, garage doors)
- car/caravan show rooms
- second-hand car lots
- petrol stations
- garden centres
- art galleries (where art is for sale/hire)
- hair and beauty services (such as: hair dressers, nail bars, beauty salons, tanning shops, etc)
- shoe repairs/key cutting
- travel agents
- ticket offices eg. for theatre
- dry cleaners
- PC/TV/domestic appliance repair
- funeral directors
- photo processing
- tool hire
- car hire
- sandwich shops
- coffee shops
- live music venues
- sports grounds and clubs
- museums and art galleries
- sport and leisure facilities
- stately homes and historic houses
- tourist attractions
- public halls
- clubhouses, clubs and institutions
- hotels, Guest and Boarding Houses
- holiday homes
- caravan parks and sites
- estate agents
- lettings agencies
- bingo halls
The list set out above is not intended to be exhaustive.