What is council tax reduction?

If you are of working age (for example, not state pensionable age) you will have to pay at least a quarter of your council tax bill (even if you are on income support, job seekers and/or employment support allowance).

Depending on your circumstances, you may have to pay more than a quarter of your bill – we will calculate this and let you know.

If you have savings or capital of over £6,000, you will have to pay more towards your council tax bill.

If you work, we will ignore the first £10 of your weekly income if you are single, and £20 if you are a couple, when calculating your council tax support.

Apply for council tax support